Subscribe via email
Asbestos Removal project – Rhodar
- Spencers calls for extension of nationwide school survey to include asbestos in schools on
- Silverdell eyes takeovers to double business on
- Implications for health and safety at work: European Commission requests the UK to comply fully with EU legislation on asbestos on
- Asbestos Claims – Dying asbestos victims denied justice by courts on
- Asbestos Claims – Asbestos Campaigner Receives £5,000 Compensation on
- Company expose family to risk of asbestos
- Essex school fined after refurbishment disturbs asbestos
- Motor Manufacturer Fined over Asbestos Contamination
- Managing asbestos in domestic and non-domestic premises – Buxton, 19 July 2016
- Managing asbestos in domestic and non-domestic premises – Buxton, 17 May 2016
- Two companies fined after disturbing asbestos
- Demolition contractor sentenced over multiple safety failings
- Roofer fined for safety failings
- Barnstaple gas engineer prosecuted following unsafe asbestos removal at a tenants’ home
- Man fined for potentially exposing members of the public to asbestos
Become a Fan on Facebook
Former BT man awarded £115k in asbestos case
A man who is dying from mesothelioma after exposure to asbestos has won his fight for compensation from BT.
In the 1990s Bernard Mottram, 82, installed telephone lines at a former secret government bunker in Wiltshire.
The 35-acre underground complex at Corsham was equipped during the Cold War in case of nuclear attack.
BT has agreed to make a compensation payment of £115,000 but the firm does not admit there was exposure to asbestos at this time in Corsham.
Mr Mottram, from Bath, has months left to live.
He said he was not warned he would be working with the fibre or told to take any precautions.
“No masks, nothing like that in them days,” he said.
“Looking back all the time I was on BT I never heard the words asbestos mentioned to be honest.”
In a statement BT said it took its health and safety responsibilities very seriously, providing appropriate training and protection.
“For the purpose of this case BT has agreed to make a compensation payment to Mr Mottram in respect of his mesothelioma,” the statement said.
“The agreement has not been specific to any part of his employment.
“BT does not admit there was any exposure in the 1990s in Corsham.”
Asbestos Industry News is the online voice for UK Asbestos News. The site covers information about asbestos management, asbestos surveying, asbestos removal, asbestos recruitment, asbestos claims, asbestos waste, asbestos legislation, asbestos inspection, asbestos related disease, asbestos training and much more. Visit www.asbestosindustrynews.co.uk, and subscribe to the RSS feed. or Subscribe to Asbestos Industry News by Email
Follow us on Twitter @UK_AsbestosNews
Asbestos Firms we recommend: